Well here it is! Let's start with some of our financial goals. And when I say financial goals, it's more like where we would like to see our money going over the next couple of months. Also keep in mind that we made up these goals back at the end of January so some of them are already done, hence the reason why some things are crossed off.
It's divided up into a couple different categories: short-term, long-term and things we want to buy/save for.
Pay off Mastercard balance
- Use cash/envelope system for groceries
- Pay off Mastercard regularly (this is an ongoing thing so it can't exactly be crossed off)
Top up emergency fund
- Start to tithe more
- Transition to one income (we are in the process of doing this. February was our first month living off Dan's income and using mine for savings/expenses)
- Put extra money towards paying down the mortgage
- Put money into savings account to go towards yearly expenses
Furnace installation costs (in garage) Freezer(scored for $100 cheaper than we originally thought!)
- Quarter cow from local farmer (we are in the process of getting this ordered)
- Split rail fence
- Surround sound system
As for cash for groceries, I've kind of stopped doing that. It's too much hassle for me to withdraw the cash and make sure I keep all the right amounts all the time. But, I have been doing REALLY well with sticking to my budget each week.
I've been sitting down Friday night or Saturday morning and making up my meal plan and grocery list for the next week. Then I bring a calculator to the store with me and keep track of the prices as I shop. Which definitely helps me from impulse buying.
I'm doing my last grocery shop for the month of February tonight and according to my calculations, I should be under budget! I'm so proud of myself! I will try and do a post focused more on my grocery budgeting next week so that I can let you know how I stuck to it and what works for me.