Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Chicken Coop: Part 3

Sorry that it has been two whole weeks since my last chicken coop update. Life got busy and it was just too much effort to try and compile all the pictures into one place. But don't you worry, I'm back to tell you all about the next stages of building the coop.

Once that first side wall was up, our next step was to close in the back. But unlike the side wall, we didn't have a foundation to work with. So we had to build one using concrete cinder blocks and more concrete. Dan dug up a small trench in the ground, enough to bury the blocks two deep with some still sticking out the top. This wasn't as easy as it may sound, since a lot of the ground was still frozen. But super amazing Dan did it!

Once the blocks were in, we filled them with concrete.


Once that was set and cured, we built yet another wall to go up on it. This one didn't take as long since we were working with a level surface and could make the studs all the same length.


Our noble dog supervised us the whole time.

We worked as a team to get the wall into place and then I screwed all the plywood onto the studs while Dan cut the pieces to fit.



This wall actually came together really fast and we were feeling pretty good about our progress. It was starting to look more and more like a coop that would hold birds in!



Looks good no?

The next step was enclosing the front. It took us a while to figure out how we wanted to do the front, since I was voting for as much light as possible and Dan wanted it to be multifunctional. We compromised and planned to make two big barn doors, with a small door in one of them and as many windows as possible

Dan was the mastermind behind it all and planned it by sketching it on note pads. I just showed up with a camera and my pink toolbelt.

We had to make another foundation at the front so we did the same thing as the back, using cinder blocks and concrete.


We then started to frame it out. And when I say we, I mean Dan did 99% of the work and I just took pictures and occasionally screwed something together.



It was at this point that I decided I was too cold and needed to head indoors. Dan kept working though and when I came out the next day, this is how fabulous it looked. Keep in mind that we were working on this in the evenings, so our time was limited before it got too cold or dark.



That's all I'm going to share for today, but stay tuned for Part 4 where I will be sharing what we did for the doors! And I will try and get it up next week instead of in two weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it's really coming together! And I'm impressed that he was able to dig in the frozen ground, that looks like it was a tough job. Go Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Just wait until I post more updates, it's looking even better now. :) And yes, digging in the frozen ground wasn't easy.

    ReplyDelete