To those of you who noticed that this post is late getting up, I apologize. I normally try to have my daily posts up at 9am each morning but this morning it just didn't happen. I was busy last night and then again this morning and I didn't have time to write it. I promise I will try to do better in the future.
For those of you who missed my last post on the destruction of the hen house, you can check it out here. I left off with a nice clean slate for rebuilding and that's where I will start today.
The main reason for rebuilding the hen house was to make it bigger and to insulate it. In order to make it bigger, we had to tear down part of the outside run and dig back some of the dirt in the back. We also needed to level off the ground so that our frame would be nice and even.
Once the base was built, Dan worked on the floor and framing out the walls.
He also built and insulated the roof while on the ground, so that all he would need to do was place it on top of the walls and secure it.
It also worked well as a base to build the walls on.
While he worked on the wall frames and studding out the hen boxes, I had to paint the back wall of the shed. See how ugly it looks in that above picture? The reason being because the old hen house was actually attached to the shed. But this new one wasn't. We put it a foot out from the shed so that we could make it taller without running into the roof of the shed but that then showed the ugly unfinished back wall. It needed to be fixed.
Here's a better picture of the ugly unpainted wall.
But don't you worry, I got it looking tip top in no time. I also painted the side wall that was going on the hen house, since once it was put up we couldn't fit into that tiny gap to paint it.
It was at this point in the process that Mia got a little too curious with the wet paint.
That paint on her bum, it's still there, almost a month later. Serves her right for sitting in wet paint.
But back to the coop. Once the walls were painted, we could assemble it all. We had some friends come over to help us get the roof up and shingled. Good thing we have nice friends, there is no way that Dan and I could have lifted that roof up all by ourselves.
They also helped us get a good start on the insulating.
Oh, and see that wiring there? That's for the outside light, inside light and the two heat lamps that we'll put in there over the winter.
See those little boxes? Those will be for the hen boxes for the hens to lay in, that we can then access from the outside. Here's the view of them from the exterior.
Dan built and insulated the door as well, so that everything will be nice and cozy warm in there during the winter.
There she is, all pretty and finished! Well, the exterior all pretty and finished.
I didn't get any good shots of the finished inside, but here are some dark semi-finished ones of the back window and the opposite wall.
It felt so good to finally be done the building part of the hen house! And just in time for it to house our little baby chicks for a few weeks. They kept nice and cozy in the well insulated coop.
So there you have it. The rebuilding of the new and improved hen house.
I will be back next week with a post showing it all pretty and painted and with the new outdoor run. But I figured I had filled this post with enough pictures.