Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How Much Wood Could a Woodchuck Chuck

Remember how last Thursday I shared this picture of what our driveway looked like?

Well I am pleased to say that it now looks like this!

It only took one hard day's labour to get it looking so neat and organized, one very hard day.

I mentioned last week that we have been experiencing cold winds and we weren't able to pile the wood when it first arrived. Saturday seemed to be the only mild day that didn't involve a dumping of snow so we got to work piling wood last weekend.

At first it was all exciting to be out working together and we could see our progress in the pile. See my happy smile and how easily I'm lifting the piece of wood? Ya, it didn't last.

We piled two bush cord straight away before taking our first break for lunch and by the end of the second one, I was pretty much exhausted. For those who aren't familiar with wood stacking terminology, let me explain. (And in case you're thinking I'm really smart, Dan is totally dictating this part for me.)  A face cord is pieces of wood cut at 16" and then stacked 4' high and 8' long. A bush cord is three face cord. So all that to say, we stacked a lot of wood.

I'm still smiling and looking happy in the above picture because that was only after the first bush cord was stacked. I didn't feel like I'd been hit by a truck yet.

This next picture is me after the second bush cord. Still feeling proud but so tired I needed to sit down.

When we came in for our lunch break, I somehow thought it would be a good idea to make spaghetti sauce, stewed rhubarb and a roast chicken during that time. Oh and throw a load of laundry in and do the dishes. You know, since I was taking a break from the wood and all.

We headed back out mid afternoon to keep stacking since we were only halfway done at this point. I moved a lot slower but still faithfully stacked wood alongside my man. So did Mia, in case you were wondering. She felt it her duty to make her own little wood collection while we were making ours. She would sneak over to the pile, subtly grab a piece of wood and then dart off all pleased with herself.

She was just so helpful. And yes, all those specks of something along the path in the background are chunks of wood that she had stolen.

By the end of the third bush cord, I thought I was going to die. Luckily for me, my good childhood friend called (who never ever calls) so I had to take that phone call while Dan dealt with the last bush cord. Since we were out of room on our pallets, he put a bunch of it into the basement wood room and then stacked the rest outside by the chute.

By the end of the day we were both exhausted. And by the end of the next day, we were sore and exhausted. But the good news is, that's it for wood stacking until the fall when we get our next load! Or until we stack it in the basement...


  1. That is a day of work. Wow! Good job!

  2. wowzers! well done! I love that Mia helped out too. :)

  3. Lee - Yes, a very hard days work!

    Jackie - Mia is always just so helpful. :P

  4. Furry Gnome - Thank you! I was pretty impressed with ourselves too. :D