Monday, October 19, 2015

Our Last IUI is Complete!

We are over halfway through our injectable cycle and last IUI! The last few weeks were crazy and they pretty much wiped me out. I seriously don't know how people do multiple cycles of this or go on to the whole new level of craziness with IVF. We are only doing one of these cycles and I am 100% okay with that.

I've decided to run you through what this past cycle looked like for us, complete with daily play-by-plays and random pictures. Exciting, right?

Day 1: My period showed up on October 3rd so I called the clinic to let them know. They let me know instructions and told me to come back on Day 3 for my first monitoring appointment.

(Let me just quickly give an overview of what a monitoring morning looks like for us. We wake up at 4am, leave the house by 5am, arrive downtown Toronto between 6:30-7:00am and either sleep in the car for a bit or head straight up for when the clinic opens at 7am. We sign in and then wait for me to be called for bloodwork and then an internal ultrasound. Sometimes we also see a nurse to discuss drugs or any questions I may have. We are usually out of there between 7:30-7:45am and back in Peterborough between 9:00-9:30am. Dan then heads to work for the day and I go about my plans.)

Day 3: Went to the clinic for our first day of monitoring, picked up the first batch of medication and got final instructions. Started the Gonal-F (50 iU) injection that night.

Day 4: Another Gonal-F injection. I'm so brave.

Day 5: Return to the clinic for more monitoring. Everything is looking good, continuing with the daily Gonal-F injections.

Day 6: Another needle in the stomach.

Day 7: Back to the clinic! Picked up more drugs since I was running low on the Gonal-F. Doctor decided to up my dose to 75 iU. Another injection. 

Day 8: Dan was in a wedding in Napanee so we were there for the day. It ended early enough that I was back in the motel room for my injection time.

Day 9: Woke up at an ungodly hour and sleepily drove the 2.5 hours from Napanee to Toronto for monitoring. Super fun. Started a new drug today and realized that Orgalutran is evil! It hurt so friggin' much and I may have been a huge baby about it.

Right before the Orgulatran
 Day 10: Clinic time again for more monitoring. Bought more drugs (Ovidrel and Endometrin). Was instructed to trigger and excitedly gave myself the easy shot (Ovidrel) instead of having to do another evil shot (Orgalutran). Last shot of the cycle which makes a total of 9 injections given!

Day 11: Monitoring, sperm wash and IUI day. Except there was a small chance of cancellation due to me (possibly) having too many follicles. The doctor opted for doing just one IUI instead of back to back ones in order to hopefully minimize the chance of high order multiples. Thank goodness the cycle wasn't cancelled or else we would have lost the $1,600 we spent on it already. Oh and we were super cool and brought donuts to the cycle monitoring nurses and our doctors office. It was the least we could do for them as a thank you for all the hard work they have done for us.

Before IUI

After IUI
Day 12: Ovulated today! Frig ovulation pain is no joke.

Day 13 onward... longest two week wait ever!

So that is where we are, waiting and waiting and waiting to find out if this cycle worked or not. The days are totally dragging by and I'm feeling very impatient.

This is our last treatment cycle for a while (or possibly forever?) and it felt so weird leaving the clinic. Even though I totally won't miss the early mornings and all the poking and prodding, it still felt strange to be leaving behind a place that has been so much a part of our lives these last two years.

I will be keeping you guys posted on the outcome of this cycle once we know, so be sure to check back later next week for results. In the meantime, send us good vibes that there is one (be specific with that one) baby growing inside me!


  1. Wowzers, what a crazy couple of weeks (years!). Thanks for the play by play :) and totally cool that you guys brought donuts! Really hoping there's a poppy seed of a baby growing inside you right now.

    1. It really has been a crazy couple of years! I'm glad you liked the play by play, I wasn't sure if people would appreciate that format or not but it seemed the easiest way to lay it all out. I was called the donut lady for the rest of the day, which I was totally cool with. And I'm hoping there's a poppy seed of a baby in there too!

  2. I am praying so very hard that this is your miracle! Your ONE miracle ;) I have been checking your blog every day hoping for an update. You are so brave and strong. You're an inspiration. I can't even imagine how long and slow these next couple weeks will go. Keeping everything crossed.

    1. Thank you so much! It's always nice to hear from old friends from TB. There will for sure be an update next week.

  3. Everything crossed for you my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you always.

  4. many many T&Ps for this cycle being it!!!

  5. I have not stopped praying for you and Dan, but will pray harder in the next two weeks.