Hello blogosphere! I have been a total slacker at blogging lately and for that I apologize. I have been posting some small updates and pictures on my Facebook page so if you aren't following me there yet, go do it now. It's more rewarding than waiting for weeks on end for me to post something here.
A few weekends ago, we decided it was time to lay down some flooring. We had been living with plywood floors in the bedrooms and hallway for a while and the living room carpet was getting in pretty rough shape, thanks to Mia. We had a friend offer to help so we took him up on it and put aside a Saturday to get the bedrooms done.
The difference was immediate (duh!) and I spent some time just sitting on my new floors and smiling. The main downside to the flooring was the extreme amount of dust that was now in my kitchen/dining room. In order to speed things up and have them closer to the actual rooms being floored, Dan moved the saws into the dining room. I was hiding in our "bedroom/fridge" watching Full House while the flooring was going down (since I was just in the way when I was up there) so when everything was done and I returned to the main floor, I was met with this sight.
So.much.dust. I was very tempted to cry and never cook again, but alas, my tummy was grumbling. Oh and the stove didn't have that message in it upon my return, I wrote it to send to my sister to prove how much dust there actually was in my kitchen. Supper that night took a lot of work, since I had to clean everything thoroughly before even moving on to the cooking part.
By the end of that day, the two back bedrooms and half the hall had flooring. We weren't able to start the living room yet because we hadn't taken up the carpet yet. So the next day after church, Dan and I rolled up the carpet and started the long and tedious task of getting the sub floor nice and smooth. Which translated means, remove all the staples!
The people who laid the flooring went a little staple happy, using 2 inch staples to boot. This is my "too many staples" face after spending an hour and half on my hands and knees pulling up these wretched little things.
Dan and I had a bit of a competition, since we had to keep this process somewhat fun, and I am proud to say that I totally won for the most staples pulled. I'm choosing to ignore the fact that I started significantly ahead of him.
Together though, we filled that jar, all from one living room floor. Like I said, a little staple happy.
Mia was super helpful during this process, bringing all her toys out onto the floor with us and then lying down in the sunlight, which always ended up being where we were working. At least she's cute.
Once the floor was cleared of staples and vacuumed and ready for flooring, I opted for a break. It was getting late and the house was overwhelming me a bit. So we decided to go for a bit of a drive that would end in a nearby town where we would rent a movie and pick up some chicken and fries for supper. Sounded like the perfect date night to end a productive weekend.
Except for when we returned at 7:00pm to start this lovely date night, Dan decided he was just too excited about the flooring and we should just "quickly" lay it before starting our supper and movie.
So that's what we did.
Which means we didn't have supper or start our movie until 9:45pm, since laying flooring isn't all that quick. This flooring is nice and easy to lay, but it still takes time to do. Oh well. At least we have a nice living room floor!
We still have to pull up the kitchen floor and lay through there, but that means taking out cupboards and moving appliances, so we haven't started it yet. Plus, there are three layers of flooring in the kitchen, as we discovered when pulling up carpet.
I hope to be back later in the week with a bunch of pictures showing you how things are looking in the rest of the house. We have actually made a decent amount of progress and I'm excited to share it with you all.